top of page
Learning Disabilities and
Post-Secondary High Stakes Testing (GRE, LSAT, MCAT, etc.)

As a student with a disability completes college and considers going on to graduate work, there are often tests that have to be taken as part of the admittance process. It is important to know that the requirements for these testing agencies vary. They often require about 6-8 week’s notice prior to taking the exam and often have slightly different requirements for both the documentation and the process to request. 

In my experience, it is very helpful to have had accommodations in the past (and it is usually best to have used them in the college experience) and to have documentation that is about 3-5 years old; although this depends on the nature of the disability and the individual testing agency. 

If you are needing to update your testing prior to taking these tests, it will be helpful to your evaluator to know what the specific agency is looking for in the way of tests, report formats, and what they may need to sign in addition to their testing report. The following links can help navigate the accommodation request process for each of the commonly taken post-graduate tests (current June 2019).

Related Content

Planning a successful transition after

high school

Understanding your options after high school and creating a plan is important to future success. Here are a few tips to make the transition to Post-Secondary education easier.

About transition services from the Utah State Office of Rehabilitation

The Utah State Office of Rehabilitation (USOR) is a state agency, under the Board of Education, that provides services to individuals with disabilities, whose disabilities cause them impediments to employment. 

Utah learning disability resources

A collection of private organizations, businesses, government agencies, and professionals who provide services that may be helpful to individuals with learning disabilities.

What is a learning disability?

There are many facets to a specific learning disability; for school age students, the definition that is used by Utah public schools is found in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). So, that is best place to start.

bottom of page