Transitioning to College: for Students with Learning Disabilities
by Steve Lewis M.S.
SLCC Disability Resource Center
LDAU Professional Advisory Board Member

Transitioning to College for Students with Learning Disabilities

Transitioning from high school (HS) to post-secondary education can be a daunting task for students with learning disabilities (LD).  These issues center on the “disconnect” between the nature and extent of disability documentation generated during a student’s public school career and the documentation required to access services at the post-secondary education level. There is no easy answer to this problem given the legal, practical, and philosophical differences between these two educational settings. All persons involved in the successful and equitable transitions of individuals with LD from high school to post-secondary institutions need to understand each other’s constraints and perspectives.

Start Early

Students preparing to transition to a post-secondary setting should take a few precautions in their preparations.  Students should think early on what accommodations they may be needing in the post-secondary setting and begin compiling a set of documents, SOP’s, IEP’s, or letters from school personnel indicating limitations that would support such a requested accommodation.  Students will need to “make a case for accommodations” using various types of documentation (student reports, K-12 Reports, observable limitations and 3rd party documentation) to support the requested accommodation. The best documentation would be a DSM-IV diagnosis and associated functional limitations; often times a school psychologist can produce this document easily.

Take a Methodical Approach

One the best pieces of advice anyone can offer to prospective post-secondary students is to get started compiling these documents in their junior year of HS through their senior year. Starting early in your junior year will help alleviate the stress that may be involved in doing it last minute. Take a methodical approach to getting letters from teachers, school counselors, special education personnel, doctors, and therapists that speak to a student’s limitations and struggles. Starting early will also bring to attention any gaps in documentation or testing that can be resolved over the student’s last year in high school. 

Make an Appointment with Your Disability Resource Center

Once a student is in their senior year they should begin speaking to the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at the institution they are planning to attend.  Students need to remember that in a Post-Secondary institution the student is the primary advocate for themselves (if 18 or older). Students also need to be aware of the application/qualifying processes for BOTH the institution and the DRC and realize these are separate processes. Getting started early will allow time for the student to calmly complete the required processes to get accommodations started at their chosen Post-Secondary institution. Most DRC departments can assist students through both processes and some will even help with getting the student registered for college. Be aware that disability services vary from institution to institution.

The student should bring as much of their documentation to their first appointment with the DRC where it can be reviewed and a dialogue can be started to build the case for whatever accommodation the student requests. Requested accommodations must be reasonable, directly related to the student’s functional limitations and can not fundamentally alter the essential function of course. Post-Secondary institutions are not required to fundamentally alter the essential functions of a course. Students need to understand their disability and related functional limitations and avoid college majors that would be a tremendous struggle. For example: although every case is unique. . .it is probably not the best idea for someone with a mathematics learning disorder to try and become an engineer . . .speaking in generalities of course.

Decide on Neccessary Accommodations

Once a student has applied and been accepted to an institution the next step is to decide on what accommodations the student might qualify. DRC offices do not provide tutoring services, although, most institutions in Utah have robust tutorial services on campus. It is good to remember that some accommodations cannot be allowed in some classes as they would fundamentally alter the essential function of the course. A good, although not exhaustive, list of accommodations is provided on Salt Lake Community College’s DRC website:

Don’t Forget Financial Aid

Financial Aid is a large component of Post-Secondary educations and a prospective students should go to the federal financial aide website. Many institutions offer various scholarships but there are few scholarships or tuition waiver programs for students with LD. Some students with LD might qualify for funding from Utah Vocational Rehabilitation .

For more information on transitioning to college for students with learning disabilities after high school feel free to contact Steven Lewis, M.S. at Salt Lake Community College’s Disability Resource Center (801)957-4659. 

Your Child's Needs

These suggestions on how to assist your child and ways to cope yourself are sure to help.

Get help with your child. Find out how

New to LDAU.org?

Check out our Education Group page, and join us for our monthly event!

What's the first step? Start Here
From the blog
Alliance Calls to Eliminate Lead Poisoning in American Children by 2021

May 15, 2017—An alliance of leading scientists, health professionals and children’s health advocates, known as Project TENDR, today issued a call for national goals necessary to eliminate lead poisoning in American children by 2021. In a viewpoint published today in the Journal of the Amer

Do you want to make a difference?

We are expanding our board and committees. WE ARE LOOKING FOR NEW BOARD AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS!! Do you have a passion for helping others? WE NEED YOU! LDAU is run by volunteers who have passion to help others and make a difference in Utah. We are looking for individuals who can help with our website, soc…

Helpful Guide for Parents Looking for the Best way to Help a Child Struggling With Attention Issues

The FDA labels are great for parents wanting to improve the quality of food for their families. Certainly, Fruit Loops don’t look like a health food, but some other foods are more deceptive. Good labeling brings all of that to light, allowing a parent to make the right choices for his or her family. &…

Most Recent Version of Tests

Best practice in assessing children for special education services requires that examiners use the most recent version of tests. If an older version is used, the examiner is responsible for stating why the older version is a better choice for the particular purpose it is employed. In working with a…

Tell Congress – Kids Need Safe Products!

No child should be exposed to toxic chemicals in their sippy cups, shampoo, or mattress. Toxic chemicals in household products are linked to learning disabilities, autism, cancer, and other health problems. Over a quarter of learning and developmental disabilities are caused in whole or in part…

LDAU.org Newsletter

To receive a one-time, complementary newsletter from ldau.org, please subscribe.

Social Streams & Feed

PO Box 900726,
UT 84090-0726